When we think about what it takes to achieve our professional goals, most people point to having a growth mindset as the most important factor. After all, in this video, How Successful People Reach Their Goals, author Heidi Grand Halvorson shares that people reach goals not because of who they are, but because of what they do.
“What they do” means putting in the work – whether that be education, training or gaining new experience – to turn their professional dreams into reality. Only employees with a growth mindset believe that they can improve over time.
While this is certainly true, a growth mindset can only take us so far. It’s not just what we do, but also how we do it. To successfully reach our goals, we must chart out a path from from Point A to Point B, and have a back-up plan for when we get lost along the way or need to change course.
In the Harvard Business Review video referenced above, author Heidi Grand Halvorson shares a handful of goal tactics. But perhaps the most important one when it comes to guiding the way we set goals is to “get specific.”
Get Specific in Your Plan for Achieving Your Goals
Halvorson warns that setting vague goals is a recipe for failure. Not only do the goals themselves need to be specific, but so do the steps needed to reach that goal. She encourages employees to be clear and precise, leaving no room for doubt about what it will take to achieve it.
HR practitioners have a very powerful tool at their hands to help employees be specific along their goal paths – performance management technology. The Kazoo experience facilitates this key goal-setting tactic in a few different ways:
- Company and department goals are set up by leaders and managers. When employees set their individual goals, they’re able to do so in the context of larger company objectives.
- Employees can set multiple goals at once from the same page, and are required to identify at least one measurable result for each goal. Users can list up to 12 measurable results, and weight them to emphasize important milestones.
- The newly enhanced Goals Overview page gives a clear and concise summary of all current goals and their statuses. From this page, users can also view and update measurable results.
- Shared goals are an important way to foster collaboration and create alignment between team members. Multiple employees can collaborate on shared goals within the system, leaving behind an activity history that can provide visibility into how each contributes to the end result.
- The activity feed is a helpful communication tool, tracking progress overtime, and allowing employees, managers, and stakeholders to have in-the-moment discussions.